Saturday, July 21, 2012

Questions

I have a two thoughts today:

1. I'm not being snarky, I really want to know what my liberal friends think about the"you didn't build that" quote from President Obama. I really would like to hear a non aggressive, non attacking, non judgmental, HONEST response. I've listened to the WHOLE SPEECH, so i'm not just going off what people are saying on Facebook. (If you haven't listened to the whole thing, please don't tell me what you think bc it is not an informed response, just an opinion.) 
I understand that it takes a community to build a business, and I completely agree that banks, private lending firms and people, teachers/friends/family, all help in the process. BUT I really am disappointed in the choice of language our president used. I really feel as a man who has never built a business, that his speech's wording belittled the work, effort and ingenuity of the individual, especially those who have the drive, courage and dedication to start and own their own business. I feel the intent was foolish and ignorant (and a terrible thing to believe), not to mention really bad politics and press.. I mean, don't people get paid to write/read these speeches ahead of time? (and plus, we all have to agree, the backlash has been hilarious!) your thoughts?

2. Maxi dresses are awesome in theory. They are comfy, leisurely, fashionable and bright, fun colors and patterns.... but they do not let air to your legs when it is 80 degrees out. Problematic.

2 comments:

Anne W said...

I stopped following the election about half way through the Republican primary. Every time I try to read anything on it, I just get pissed and annoyed and remember why I hate the 2 party system we are stuck in and that, in all honestly, none of us as voting Americans really have a say in. MAYBE if you are in a swing state, your vote matters but I've never lived in a swing state. I vote because I feel as though it is my obligation as a woman and a citizen (mostly the woman thing though). But I digress...

As for this whole issue, it's the perfect example of how crappy this election really is. It's gotten to the point where cable news anchors (I won't call them journalists) scrutinize everything both candidates say or "say between the lines" and it pulls the focus away from the real issues. Yeah, the wording was poor and in a perfect world he wouldn't have said it like that but he did and instead of talking about actual things that matter, we demonize Obama and say he hates small business owners. SERIOUSLY!? Can you find me a wall to hit my head against? The same thing happens to Romney over and over. It's maddening. The election isn't about issues- it's about image. And I dare say that both images I see suck pretty hard.

I found this article last week. GREAT read: http://factcheck.org/2012/07/whoppers-of-2012-early-edition/

Anne W said...

aaah, so long! didn't mean for that to happen. my b!